Thursday, September 15, 2005

Progress Report On Inmate Tracking/Release Efforts

In an email tonight, Keith Nordyke, Coordinator for the NACDL/LACDL Katrina Relief Task force reports the following progress:



Significant progress was made today regarding release of the prisoners
transferred from N.O. post Katrina. LACDL and NACDL have been working
virtually around the clock trying to negotiate a solution to the inmates
held for municipal offenses, inmates due and over due for release and
others. I'll send a full report in the morning when I have all of my
notes from the office and can digest into a synthesized form the many
email messages and calls today. I think we now have a better grip on
the delays and the reasons which I will try to outline tomorrow morning.
A brief summary follows:

1. A number of parole revocation inmates have either been released or
will be soon. Number is estimated to be 220 or so.
2. Of the "municipal" prisoners, about 250 total should be out in
24-36 hours. Although we are upset with the 24 hour delay, it is
occasioned by problems in checking for active warrants and
probation/parole holds. Many of these searches are frustrated by lack
of automation in local facilities.
3. Parole hearings were held today and I believe 18 were paroled.
4. I am informed that Jefferson Parish has started rounds to where
their prisoners are held and are getting them cut loose. I have heard
that a number are already out. Reports from lawyers in those areas
would be appreciated. Please put Jefferson parish in the subject line.

5. Others should follow as systems come back up.

It's my guess that we should see a fairly orderly out migration
starting Friday which is the timetable that was given to those of us at
the meeting with the AG and Supreme Court on Monday.

The process is being organized by DOC and should be ready tomorrow with
the actual releases to follow soon. I understand that the lists
compiled by Orleans will go out tomorrow morning to the facilities
ordering release for Friday.

Not withstanding rumor on the internet, the process has been tedious
and moreover, been done manually from a 1300 page small font list. It
is just taking time to confirm status and then confirm identity and then
confirm no detainers/warrants. In our field interviews, we have come to
believe that many are overdue for release. It appears that some of
those we thought should be released have active holds.

I'll try to cover what we know about the bonding process that is being
developed in tomorrow's email.

I know that we are all frustrated and upset over the delay. I
certainly am. However, at least for this first group and for a couple
of categories that should follow soon, this process seems to have
worked.

When I get in tomorrow and get the notes I made today, I will update
this post.

Keith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home